Sunday, 24 October 2010

Studio and design essentials

Here are a few of the things I never design without…

The Hoodie

Not only is it a simple and effective way to maintain a nice working temperature, it's always a nice thing to put the hoodie up and zone out in front of the computer, meeting table or sketchbook. It's like a little bedroom you can wear.

The Sketchbook

Great for logging my sketches and design ideas... I can go for a walk or hide out in a vacant room and work out the tough stuff without the self consciousness of doing it in front of other people.

The iPod

I just leave home, ride the subway, have a coffee, do some CAD or just chill out with all my favourite tracks buzzing. I just choose the band that gets me in the mood and get ready to design and creative action.


White Phosphorus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
White Phosphorus said...

Nice! Great post tommy- tweet the link!

I would replace iPod with smartphone- it's got the music as well as infinite reference material, and instant access to a host of potential collaborators - all conveniently in your pocket - ready for when inspiration strikes you. Goes without saying that discipline is required to ensure this powerful tool does not become a mere distraction.

But which smartphone? iPhone works to a point, but I've been thinking more and more about the android os. Or maybe even the nokia n900... I may relent after all.